October 7, 2016
National Disability Employment Awareness Month Awards Breakfast celebrates local employers
The Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce recently partnered with New York State ACCES-VR and the Mid-Hudson Employment Alliance to host a National Disability Employment Awareness Month Awards Breakfast celebrating local employers for National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
For the 15th year, The Chamber, New York State ACCES-VR, and Mid-Hudson Employment Alliance—a consortium of nonprofit and public human service agencies working together to further employment for persons with disabilities—honored local employers for their commitment to hiring and supporting individuals with disabilities.
The event, sponsored by Rose and Kiernan, Inc. and The Arc of Dutchess, was held on Thursday, October 6th at The Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel in Poughkeepsie. The event marks the kick-off for National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), which is observed annually in October. NDEAM is a nationwide campaign that raises awareness about disability employment and honors the many diverse contributions of America's workers with disabilities.
Seeking to inspire social media awareness of workers with disabilities, #InclusionWorks is the theme of this year’s National Disability Employment Awareness Month. The theme was chosen through a collaborative process involving the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy and the use of crowdsourcing technology.
At the breakfast, two Regional Awards were given to Lowes of Poughkeepsie, nominated by The Arc of Dutchess, and Sav-On Party Central of Kingston, nominated by The Arc of Ulster-Green.
Also, 23 local awards were given to employers throughout Dutchess, Ulster and Putnam counties:
- Applebee’s - Brewster
- Arlington Auto & Tire Service - Poughkeepsie
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc. - Wappingers Falls
- Brewster Plastics, Inc. - Patterson
- Brewster Technology - Brewster
- Camp Belly Rub LLC - Kingston
- Chiz’s Heart Street - Kingston
- ChocoVision Corp. - Poughkeepsie
- Dutchess Community College - Office of Disability Services - Poughkeepsie
- Dutchess County SPCA - Hyde Park
- Dutchess Outreach - Poughkeepsie
- Edible Arrangements - Carmel
- Ellenville Regional Hospital - Ellenville
- Grinnell Library - Wappingers Falls
- JanCare Registered Professional Nursing Services, P.C. - Fishkill
- McDonald’s - Malden
- The Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc. - Rhinebeck
- Overlook Drive-in Theater - Poughkeepsie
- Poughkeepsie Child Development Center - Poughkeepsie
- The Roundhouse - Beacon
- Town of Carmel
- Walgreens - Poughkeepsie
- Walmart - Kingston
Founded in 1907, the Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce is committed to the growth and development of local businesses and the economy. For more information about Chamber happenings, the complete events calendar, or to find out how we might best serve as an advocate for you and your business, please visit dcrcoc.org.
For more information, contact:
Communications & Marketing Coordinator
(845) 454-1700, ext. 102